How everyone is doing a little better than myself. I didnt include in the post below but I fell skiing after doing a jump, I successfuloly did a few jumps during the day (last friday, 3/12) and did a big one at the end and fell on my left hip. It hurt pretty bad at the time but I assumed it was just bruising, I could still walk around decently.
The pain didnt really go away so I went and got xrays on Monday, did a whole round of them and everythign came back fine. I waited a few more day until Thursday morning when it really hurt getting out of bed. I sit in the clinicial section of my work(lots of former doctors/nurses, that same morning a former nurse said I really need to go in for more tests. She was right, fractured 4 vertebrae none of which showed up in the original xrays. I met with a general orthopedic doc yesterday, she gave me stronger medications for the pain, told me to miss work for a few days and put me in a rigid corset. I meet with a spinal specialist on Tuesday, will know more then on everything.
The worst is a facet fracture in the L3, then S1/S2 being fractured and finally a tranverse fracture of my L4. A guy came to my apt(not driving for a while) to fit me for a rigid corset to limit my movement. Everything is fine, as of now I was told I will not need surgery, just need to relax to the extreme to let it heal. I can do almost everything fine, just any bending/reaching/getting out of bed/cars hurts. Icing helps but the doc said the inflammation is part of the healing process and I should limit icing to 2-3 times a day. I also have been putting arnica gel on the injured area a few times a day, it is supposed to reduce bruising and swelling.
My friend Dan does artificial spinal component packaging, he said he would hook it up if it comes to it haha.
Everyone has been great in helping me out, bringing me food/movies, driving me around. I am really fortunate to be surrounded by a good group of people. Erica/Mary, I am fine now but if I feel the need for more help I will come visit.
Some good info, shows how rare this happens and how it was from blunt impact:
Spine Map
It was in the 60's in Boulder most the week then Friday we got 8-10 inches, a nice treat to watch when staying inside all day.
- Joe
Friday Snow
Bruising, goes all the way down my thigh and groin, not pretty.
Back, notice the swelling on the one side
Brace
Brace again
Meagan :)
Joe, I think I remember Meagan from Celestial Seasonings!! She looks familiar.
ReplyDeleteNice bruises, I think I'm going to vomit now. Let me know if you need anything!
I like girls and tea, good job joe. I want to poke your bruise. We are bringing you food tomorrow...see you then.
ReplyDelete- justin
Poor Cripple Joe. Anything I can do to help all the way from Michigan???
ReplyDeleteWho's Meagan? She's cute!
MY BABY! MY POOR, POOR BABY!
ReplyDeleteGrandpa had a good comment. He said you should have purchased your skis in Pennsylvania...they sell their skis with crutches! Ha, Ha. That Grandpa!
ReplyDelete