Thursday, October 11, 2012

My Green Chili

Steph and I had a ton of roasted peppers in the freezer from the CSA, we decided to use them up on Sunday. I made this once before but didnt right anything down, thought it would be a good idea to document it!


Ingredients

  • 3 lbs pork loin
  • (1) Yellow onion
  • 1 lb potatoes, diced
  • 28oz green enchilada sauce
  • 1 small can green chilis
  • (2) 14 oz Cans diced tomatoes(prefer fire roasted, or mexican style)
  • Roasted peppers, seeded, pureed. (I used two full sandwich bags)
  • 2 cans chicken broth(I used concentrate)
  • Olive oil (or butter or bacon grease)
 Spices
  • 1 tsp - Celery Salt
  • 1 tbsp – Cumin
  • 1 tbsp – Green Chili Powder
  • 1 tsp – Garlic Powder
  • Dash - Cayenne Pepper
  • Dash - Chili Powder
  • Dash - Chipotle Powder
  • Dash - White Pepper
  • Dash - Smoked Black Pepper
  • Dash – Onion Powder
  • 1 tsp - Oregano
 Optional
  • Brown Rice
  • Pepper jack
  • Sour Cream
  • Tortillas
  • Cilantro
 Brown pork with Oil, I cut it in big chunks(almost fist size). Add broth and diced onion(and more water if needed), cook on medium for 1hr
Remove pork from pot, set to cool. Puree roasted peppers, add to pot with remaining ingredients/spices. Once cool, dice pork, add to pot. Simmer for another hour or two. Serve over rice with optional ingredients.

My “dash” is extremely subjective, add spices throughout the simmering to match your taste. Recipe is a mix of the top Denver green chili recipes from the past ten years. Turned out amazing, a few people asked about it when I was heating it up for lunch in the office.


 Next year I want to buy a big box or two of peppers to roast ourselves.
http://denvergreenchili.com/award-winning-recipes/champion-green-chili/

5 comments:

  1. That looks awesome! You must have made a ton of chili though. Did you freeze it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a lot, I had it everyday for lunch this week and we froze a big ziplock bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks good except not the meat part...do you think it would be good vegetarian? either meat substitute or just no meat at all?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it would be fine with no meat, maybe just add more veggies to keep it thick...

    ReplyDelete