Thursday, October 22, 2009

Grandma’s Chicken Dumpling Soup – Joe Style

Made this on Tuesday to help fight my cold, I didn’t feel so hot yesterday but feel great today so it must have worked!

Grandma’s Chicken Dumpling Soup – Joe Style

~2 lb chicken
3 Stalks Celery
~1/2lb carrots (I diced baby carrots)
(2) 14oz cans chicken stock
1 small/med onion
2 small potatoes (small cubes)

Simmer chicken for one hour with about ½ the pot filled up with water and 1 can chicken stock. Remove chicken, let cool on big cutting board. Debone, I went through it twice to get rid of any remaining fat/bone. Cut chicken in bite size pieces. Add all remaining ingredients and let simmer 2 hours. Add Salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning to taste. Time to add the dumplings….

Dumplings
1 2/3 c whole wheat flour
1 c water
(2) eggs

Beat together, add more/less flour to preference. Using a teaspoon, drop spoonfuls in the soup. I added half first; let them puff up then dropped in the other half. Came out with a brownish color from the whole wheat, very good!

I let the soup simmer another ½ hour after adding the dumplings.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Good job Joe. I add some cut-up celery leaves. And I use the Bisquick dumpling receipe (on the box). But I'm glad you used whole wheat!

    ReplyDelete